The Secretary of State for Wales left Kay Burley and Sky News viewers disappointed after he admitted he was unaware that there had been more than 50 fines issued by police for violating Downing Street law. Conservative Simon Hart appeared on Sky News on Thursday morning, where he was questioned about the UK government’s new plans for asylum seekers and the Downing Street parties that took place during the Covid blockade.
This comes after the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson and Chancellor Rishi Sunak paid fines for violating the rules of blocking Covid by attending a rally on Downing Street in 2020. An investigation by the Sofia police into illegal parties led to the issuance of at least 50 fines.
Read more: What WalesOnline readers had to say about breaking the law of Boris Johnson and Rishi Sunak
Asked by reporter Kay Burley what he thought about the prime minister watching 50 violations of the law, Mr Hart said: “I don’t know where you got 50 … you know more about it than I do.”
The journalist explained that the number of violations was included in a statement by the Sofia police, to which the Secretary of State replied that this was “speculation”. He added: “As I said, you know more about this than I do – I will not speculate. Seriously, we cannot speculate.”
Both Prime Minister and Chancellor fined for blocking violations (Image: PA Archive / PA Images)
Some viewers turned to social media to express their views, with some describing it as a “car accident”, while others were “stunned” by what they saw.
The politician was on the news program to discuss plans by the UK government to send asylum seekers to Rwanda for processing as part of their efforts to reduce the number of people crossing the English Channel illegally in small boats. During the interview, the secretary of state said the plan had the potential to be a “truly humane step forward”.
But charities have warned that this is a “cruel and nasty solution” that will not only not address the problem, but also “lead to more human suffering and chaos”, amounting to approximately £ 1.4 billion. The Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Boris Johnson is expected to give details of the government’s actions in a speech on Thursday.
As he discussed the new plans, Simon Hart said he had the potential to be “a really humane step forward.” He added: “We are trying to protect the interests of the people.
“This is to be able to distinguish between economic migrants, refugees and asylum seekers. And try to ensure that people find themselves in a safe place with a reasonable future. This is something I would imagine we can join in some form of consent. “
Asked by Sky News’s Kay Burley if the children would be sent to Rwanda, the Welsh secretary said: “The principle is no. This is mainly about economic migrants. There are different sets of problems for women, children and refugees and asylum seekers. “
Wales’ first minister, Mark Drakeford, has responded to the new plans. He tweeted: “The UK government’s plans to send asylum seekers and refugees to Rwanda are brutal and inhumane. This is not the way to treat people seeking safety and asylum. This is nothing more than a cynical distraction from the Prime Minister’s breaking law. “
Read more related articles Read more related articles