United Kingdom

UNDERSTANDING: A 3-year-old boy who died in an attack on a dog named Daniel Twig

A three-year-old boy who died in a dog attack in Rochdale is named after Daniel Twig.

The young man was fatally attacked at a Carr Lane property in Milnerow on Sunday afternoon (May 15). Police said he was out in the open with several dogs when he was seriously injured.

Daniel was rushed to hospital from the scene, but tragically died shortly afterwards. Since then, one dog has been killed and several others have been captured.

READ MORE: 3-year-old boy killed to death by dog ​​”just a yard from where the woman attacked last year”

A spokesman for the Greater Manchester North Coroner’s Office confirmed today (May 17th) that a file in Daniel’s name has been received. An investigation into his death will be held at a later date.

Police remain at the scene of Carr Lane’s accident as the complex investigation continues. Detectives said the investigation into the dogs was ongoing.

In the latest update of the force, police said there were no arrests. Officers are reviewing “other notable incidents” and a reference has been made to the police supervisory authority due to “previous contact” with the forces.

Carr Lane Police Scene (Image: Manchester Evening News)

Meanwhile, a woman told MEN how she filed a complaint with the police last year after being trampled by a dog while walking on a footpath, just meters from where the fatal attack took place. Kia Walker, 19, suffered horrific injuries to her arm.

It is unclear whether the same dog was involved in the attack on the boy. Kia was out for a walk when she claimed that two dogs running freely on a public path attacked her, one jumping towards her and one biting her arm in April last year.

“It’s really sad because maybe people would do more about it and it could save a little boy’s life,” she told MEN.

She said she had lodged a complaint with the police, but added: “They simply said that the investigation could not continue because there was not enough evidence.” Police said Kia has chosen not to take further action.

(Image: Manchester Evening News)

GMP Assistant Chief of Staff Scott Green said: “Our thoughts, of course, remain with the relatives of the young boy who died so sadly after yesterday’s incident. Specially trained officers were sent to support them.

“An in-depth investigation is underway to establish the full circumstances of this incident and review other important incidents. Due to previous contact, the GMP Professional Standards Branch referred to the Independent Police Conduct Service.

“It goes without saying that this news will have an impact on the community. I can assure members of the public that all the crimes identified by our investigations into this incident will be dealt with by us and our criminal justice partners, respectively.

“We are aware of the speculation on social media and ask members of the public and the media to refrain from speculation at this time until our investigation is completed and all subsequent criminal proceedings are completed.”

Anyone with information should share it via 0161 856 7386 or gmp.police.uk. The information can also be shared anonymously through the independent charity – Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Read more of today’s top stories here

Read more related articles Read more related articles