United Kingdom

Dustin Johnson heads the opening of the LIV Golf Invitational Series event four months after embarking on the PGA Tour | Golf news

Dustin Johnson said in February that he was involved in the PGA Tour

Dustin Johnson, a former world number one who embarked on the PGA Tour in February, has been selected to open the Saudi-backed LIV Golf Invitational Series event in Hertfordshire, which begins next week.

Johnson, 37, is the biggest hitherto unknown name in the field, which does not include Phil Mickelson. The chain, seen as a potential rival to the PGA Tour, has been contested for accepting funding from Saudi supporters, with the Centurion Club boasting a total prize pool of £ 20 million and £ 3 million for the winner.

Other notable names in the field include Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter and Richard Bland, Sergio Garcia, Kevin Na, Thaler Guch, Martin Kaimer and Louis Osthuisen and Branden Grace.

The PGA Tour did not give its members an exemption to play in the event, which will be contested from June 9 to 11, against the Canadian Open.

Johnson – who won the 2018 Canadian Open – and other members may be penalized for choosing the LIV Golf event without the permission of the Tour.

Please use the Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Speaking before last month’s PGA Championship, Rory McIlroy said his stance on those who wanted to play in the Saudi Golf League had softened and said the situation had become “toxic”.

Speaking before last month’s PGA Championship, Rory McIlroy said his stance on those who wanted to play in the Saudi Golf League had softened and said the situation had become “toxic”.

LIV Golf CEO Greg Norman said: “The Free Agency has finally come to golf.

“This is an opportunity to start a movement that will change the course of history by bringing new and open competition to the sport we all love.

Leading his career in the PGA Tour

Tiger Woods $ 120 million £ 95 million Phil Mickelson $ 94 million £ 74 million Dustin Johnson $ 74 million £ 58 million Jum Furik $ 71 million £ 56 million Vijay Singh $ 71 million £ 56 million Rory McIlroy $ 62 million £ 49 million $ 62 million £ 49 million $ 49 million Adam Scott $ 6 million $ 54 million £ 42 million Sergio Garcia $ 54 million £ 42 million

“The desire shown by the players to participate in LIV Golf demonstrates their strong faith in our model and confidence in what we are building for the future.”

Johnson, who dropped from third to 13th in the world this year, is the highest ranked player on the field.

The former world number one earlier said in a statement that he was “fully committed to the PGA Tour”.

Live DP World Tour Golf

June 2, 2022, 12:00 p.m.

Live

However, after announcing his place on the field, Johnson’s manager David Winkle said: “Dustin is considering the opportunity that has opened up over the past few years. In the end, he decided it was in his best interest for his family to pursue him.

“Dustin has never had a problem with the PGA Tour and is grateful for everything he has given him, but in the end he thinks it’s too convincing to give up.”

Johnson was due to play in the RBC Canadian Open, but instead chose to join the LIV event. On Twitter, the RBC Canadian Open said: “Together with our RBC partners, we are disappointed to learn at this late stage that Dustin Johnson has decided to play in the LIV Golf Event. As a former RBC Canadian Open champion, Canadian golf fans have been looking forward to the DJ’s return this year. “

Phil Mickelson will not be participating in the Centurion Club

Although the six-time grand champion Mickelson was not on the roster, he could still play at the Centurion Club as six seats in the 48-player tournament remain open.

Mickelson has been linked with LIV Golf for months, but has been on a self-imposed break from the sport since February – even missing his PGA Championship title defense – amid a backlash over comments he made about the breakaway tour.

Mickelson’s 51-year-old public image was struck when the author of an unauthorized biography said the American golfer had told him he was ready to look into Saudi Arabia’s human rights past to win an economic lever over the PGA Tour. .

Complete list of players

Oliver BekkerRichard BlandLaurie CanterRatchanon ‘TK’ Chantananuwat (Amateur)Hennie Du PlessisOliver FisherSergio GarciaTalor GoochBranden GraceJustin HardingSam HorsfieldDustin JohnsonMatt JonesSadom KaewkanjanaMartin KaymerPhachara KhongwatmaiSihwan KimRyosuke KinoshitaChase KoepkaJinichiro KosumaPablo LarrazabalGraeme McDowellJediah MorganKevin NaShaun NorrisAndy OgletreeLouis OosthuizenWade OrmsbyAdrian OtaeguiTurk PettitJames Plot (Amateur)Ian PoulterDavid PuigJC RitcheCharl SchwartzelHudson SwaffordHideto TaniharaPeter Uihlein Scott Vincent Lee Westwood Bernd Wisberger Blake Windred

Fitzpatrick: LIV Golf series of “no interest” so far

Matt Fitzpatrick during the last round of the PGA Championship

Matt Fitzpatrick said his future remains with PGA ahead of this week’s Memorial Tournament, but he will have to re-evaluate it if the LIV Series becomes a major tour.

“Tiger [Woods] made a great point in the PGA the other day at his press conference. “He’s there to create a legacy and win tournaments and win big tournaments, and it’s kind of like, I’m definitely where I am,” Fitzpatrick said.

“And it was interesting, it was kind of, you know, honestly, some tournaments where I might not necessarily be in it and I can’t win, then I think, oh, you know, well, at least for the good, I’ve done so much this a week after the end of the tournament.

“I left the PGA in the United States and I literally couldn’t care how much I earned this week. I was just upset that I didn’t win. I had a chance and I didn’t use it, and I kind of said a lot about myself. That’s all that worries me here.

“You want to have records. I want to win tournaments for me too, so for now I’m not interested in this type of LIV Golf.”

However, the Englishman did not completely rule out a move and admitted that if the tour becomes a top attraction, he will have to decide where he will compete.

“In five years, if this suddenly becomes a major tour, then you will obviously rethink your options,” he said.

“But for now, yes, I’m here to make sure I’m giving myself the best chance of winning tournaments, winning big ones, and continuing my career that way.”

Get the best prices and book a round of one of the 1700 courses …