United states

Canello is not committed to whether it will be the next rematch with Buffalo or the third match with Triple-G

LAS VEGAS – Canelo Alvarez repeated during his press conference after the match late in the evening that he wants a rematch with Dmitry Bivol.

However, the four-division champion will not commit to fighting Bivol for the second time in his next battle. Alvarez had already agreed to face the enemy Gennady Golovkin in their long-awaited third match on September 17 in an indefinite place, before boxing Bivol on Saturday night at the T-Mobile Arena.

The Mexican icon could return to the 168-pound division and continue this third battle against Golovkin four months later. The Russian Buffalo (20-0, 11 KO) will still be contractually obliged to give Alvarez a rematch, which could come in the third match of the agreement for three fights of Alvarez with DAZN and boxing of Eddie Hearn, if Alvarez (57-2 -2, 39 KO) chooses to face Golovkin again in his next match.

“We will go and see what happens next, talk about it and let you know,” Alvarez said through an interpreter.

When pressed, whether he fights Bivol or Golovkin, if he still intends to return to the ring on September 17, Alvarez replied: “We will see what happens in the future. But we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. “

Alvarez, who will turn 32 on July 18, has fought in May and September three times since 2012, as his May matches are scheduled for or near the Cinco de Mayo and those September matches took place on Independence Day. of Mexico, which is celebrated every September 16 around this time. He also fought in May and returned to play three times in November, but since 2012, which could mean he will take a longer break between his loss to Buffalo and his next match.

However, Alvarez insisted he would box Bivol again because the former king of boxing wanted to redeem himself after a decisive defeat in their 12-round battle for the Bivol light heavyweight title in the WBA. Alvarez lost by the same score, 115-113, on the cards of judges Tim Chittham, Dave Moretti and Steve Weisfeld, but Buffalo seems to have defeated Alvarez more convincingly than that.

“We want a rematch,” said Alvarez, “and we will do much better in the rematch.”

Guadalajara’s Alvarez performed much better in their rematch against Golovkin than during their first battle, which led to a controversial tie in the division of T-Mobile Arena in September 2017. He defeated Golovkin by a majority decision in their rematch. of 12 rounds in September 2018, also at T-Mobile Arena.

His next third fight against Golovkin (42-1-1, 36 KOs) may still make more sense for Alvarez, as this revelation will be contested in the division in which he operates in his best middleweight division, and would be an advertising success. The 40-year-old Golovkin wants his third bout as it will not only be his shot to avenge the Kazakh’s only loss, but will also give the IBF / IBO / WBA middleweight champion a chance to become the undisputed 168-pound boxer champion. and for his highest salary.

“My most natural weight, [where I’m] the most comfortable is 168, “Alvarez said. “I feel best there too. So, we’ll go see if we can handle this rematch [with Bivol]”

Keith Idek is a senior writer / columnist for BoxingScene.com. It can be found on Twitter @Idecboxing.