United states

Low-income people will receive high-speed internet for $ 30 under Biden’s new program

Substitute while the actions of the article are loading

Twenty ISPs, including AT&T, Comcast and Verizon, have agreed to provide high-speed services at a huge discount to low-income consumers, the White House said Monday, significantly expanding broadband for millions of Americans.

The plan, which features a $ 1 trillion infrastructure package passed by Congress last year, will cost eligible households no more than $ 30 a month. Discounts plus existing federal Internet subsidies mean that the government will cover the full cost of connectivity if consumers register with one of the 20 participating companies. The White House estimates that the program will cover 48 million households or 40 percent of the country.

More than 11.5 million households have already registered to apply for government subsidies.

The 100 megabits per second service is fast enough for a family to work from home, do school work, surf the Internet and stream high-definition movies and TV shows, the White House said.

“High-speed internet is no longer a luxury. This is a necessity, “said President Biden in remarks, announcing the program in the White House Rose Garden.

Households may qualify for subsidies called the Affordable Connectivity Program if their income is at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty guidelines, a household member participates in certain federal anti-poverty initiatives – including Medicaid, a supplementary nutrition program, federal housing assistance, Pell Grant tuition assistance, or free or reduced-cost school meals – or if the household is already eligible for a low-income ISP service program.

Users can check to see if they qualify for the discounted service at getinternet.gov or by calling (877) 384-2575.

Biden, during his 2020 campaign and in the negotiations on the bipartisan infrastructure bill, made Internet access a high priority, especially for America’s rural areas and low-income consumers. A 2021 study by the Pew Research Center found that although broadband access, the most reliable form of internet connection, has increased among rural residents over the past decade, rural communities still lag far behind others in terms of service.

Approximately 7 in 10 adults in rural areas report having home broadband in 2021, Pew found; the same part has a desktop or laptop computer. Eight out of 10 had a smartphone. Prices for urban and suburban households were between 5 and 10 percent better.

But in urban and suburban communities, the cost of the Internet service has long been a bigger barrier than network access, experts say. This has prevented families from connecting online to access a health service, participate in educational activities or enjoy entertainment.

This has led some people to make great efforts to access the Internet. Public education officials often talk about students gathered in fast food restaurants or cafes equipped with free WiFi to perform tasks because they do not have an Internet connection at home. During the pandemic, public libraries set up stations for senior residents to access remote health care, allowing patients to communicate with doctors, but without the privacy to which many patients are entitled, health experts say.

“The cost of broadband is the engine of the digital divide,” said Chris Lewis, president and CEO of the Public Knowledge Advocacy Group. “And this is in all types of communities, urban, rural, suburban, whatever. … See the response during the pandemic to people who are upset that children in schools do not have access to broadband. This was not a rural problem. This was a problem in every community. And even if a family could afford broadband and their children were taught broadband, they knew someone at school, one of their children’s friends, who wasn’t involved in quality broadband. “

Biden’s infrastructure package has set aside $ 65 billion to improve the country’s broadband network. Most of this funding will go to states for projects led by local politicians, but a $ 14 billion pool has been set aside for Internet grants.

The rebate program faces early hurdles because the households it is designed to serve are not online and therefore more difficult to reach. The White House said it would partner with other federal agencies, state and city governments and charities to disseminate the information.

But some experts worried Monday about the longevity of the program. According to some estimates, the money for subsidies will run out by 2025, which will potentially leave millions of families with a brand new monthly bill after three years of free or significantly cheaper services.

“If we’re going to subsidize broadband, we need to cut it down to $ 0,” said Christopher Ali, an associate professor of media research at the University of Virginia and author of Farm Fresh Broadband in 2021. For many families, even $ 10 a month are expensive. If we look at the numbers, there are more people who can’t afford the Internet than people who can’t.

However, the program raised questions among experts about how ISPs set the prices of their products. Discounts apply only to low-income customers, but suppliers often offer their products to others at significantly higher prices. This raises questions about price transparency, experts said, although Monday’s announcement was a positive step to increase internet access.

“We hope this will get more customers for Comcast, AT&T and other broadband providers. That’s probably a good thing for them, “Lewis said. “Do they get customers who are a leader at a loss for them, or customers who make money for them? We do not know because no one has studied prices and competition in the market.