Canada

Apple’s leak has doubled after a shock over a new iPhone design

Although Apple’s design solutions for the iPhone 14 will divide opinions, they are nothing compared to what Apple plans to do next …

In a new Bloomberg report, renowned Apple reporter Mark Germann reveals that Apple is currently testing iPhones that remove the company’s own (and incredibly lucrative) Lightning port in favor of USB-C. And that can make the iPhone 14 range useless.

Apple iPhone 15 Pro Max concept rendering

All ApplePro

Gourmet says Apple’s decision is motivated by upcoming changes in European legislation that will force all phone makers to adopt USB-C. The company has previously opposed the changes, arguing that “regulation that requires only one type of connector for all devices on the market will harm European consumers by delaying the introduction of useful innovations in charging standards, including those related to safety and energy efficiency. “

But that’s an argument the EU has rejected, and USB-C legislation was approved by a majority last month. And the implications for the iPhone 14 range can be significant.

In favor of Apple, EU law is unlikely to affect the iPhone by 2023, and Gourmet says Apple is testing USB-C on early prototypes of the iPhone 15. But if EU law is passed, all iPhone models will have a lightning connector quickly. will be considered as legacy devices. Not only from Apple fans, but also from Apple itself.

There is a precedent here. When the iPhone 5 introduced the Lightning port in 2011, Apple released the iPad 4 range just eight months after the iPad 3, which was a virtually identical tablet only with a thinner CPU and … yes, the new Lightning port. Sales of the iPad 3 have fallen dramatically, as has their second-hand value.

Therefore, if Apple launches the iPhone 15 range with USB-C, it is likely that the company will re-launch older iPhones, which it plans to continue selling (including iPhone 14 models) with USB-C after the release of the iPhone 15. This would kill the values second hand for iPhone 14 models equipped with Lightning.

Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max renders based on expired schemes

All ApplePro

And no, Apple is unlikely to sell iPhones with USB-C in Europe and iPhones equipped with Lightning in the rest of the world, with Gourmet explaining that “having multiple versions of the same iPhone with different connectors would probably lead to to further confusion such as supply chain headaches. “

In addition, there are objectively valid reasons for the EU to make this change. Not only does one port benefit the environment, USB-C offers faster charging and data transfer speeds (which have clear usage scenarios). This will also unify Apple’s range, given that the MacBook and iPad Pro are already charging via USB-C.

Interestingly, the Gourmet report supports a similar statement by popular Apple analyst Ming-Chi Kuo on Wednesday. At the time, Kuo’s claim was rejected by many, as it was believed that Apple preferred the future of the iPhone only with MagSafe before adopting USB-C. But since Gourmet is now on his side, the weight of the two experts will lead to the fact that this news will really be taken very seriously.

At this stage, it is unclear whether Apple will cancel its plans for USB-C if EU law does not introduce it into law or if the company is already too far away. Gourmet says Apple is already working on “an adapter that will allow future iPhones to work with accessories designed for the current Lightning connector.”

In short, nervous iPhone fans may be wise to postpone their upgrade plans until 2023, when wider design changes are coming anyway.

___

Follow Gordon on Facebook

More in Forbes

MORE THAN FORBESA Apple accidentally leaked surprising upgrades to the new edition of iPhone By Gordon Kelly