Spain reported its second death linked to monkeypox on Saturday, in what is believed to be Europe’s second death from the disease in the current outbreak.
Spain reported its first death on Friday, shortly after Brazil reported the first monkeypox-related death outside the African continent in the current wave of the disease.
According to a July 22 World Health Organization report, only five deaths have been reported, all in Africa. Last Saturday, the WHO declared the rapidly spreading epidemic a global health emergency, the highest level of alert.
In its latest report on Saturday, Spain’s health ministry said 4,298 cases had been confirmed in the country. Of the 3,750 patients for whom information was available, 120, or 3.2 percent, were hospitalized and two died, he said, without giving further details.
The first death occurred in the northeastern region of Valencia and was caused by encephalitis, an inflammation of the brain linked to the infection, local media reported, citing the regional health department.
The victim from Brazil was a 41-year-old man who, according to the health ministry, also suffered from lymphoma and a weakened immune system.
“Co-morbidities worsened his condition,” the ministry said.
It added that the patient was hospitalized in the southeastern city of Belo Horizonte and died of septic shock after being taken to the intensive care unit.
Add Comment