Canada

Canada confirms 168 cases of monkeypox, 141 reported by Quebec: Report



Canada’s chief public health officer, Theresa Tam, confirmed a total of 168 cases of monkeypox in the country as of Friday.

Speaking at a health briefing, the chief doctor said these confirmed cases had been reported nationally, including two cases from British Columbia, four from Alberta, 21 from Ontario and 141 from Quebec, Xinhua reported.

“We continue to monitor and respond to the evolving situation with monkeypox, including supporting provinces and territories in their efforts to launch targeted vaccination campaigns,” Tam said, adding that they are working to raise awareness of how the virus is transmitted.

According to her, among the cases for which information is available and reported to the Public Health Agency of Canada, all cases are men and are aged between 20 and 69 years.

However, the risk of exposure to monkeypox virus is not exclusive to any group or environment. Anyone, regardless of gender or sexual orientation, can become infected and spread the virus if they come into close contact with someone who has monkeypox or items they have used, such as personal items, towels or bedding, she said.

Monkeypox is a sylvatic zoonosis that can cause infections in humans and the disease is commonly found in forested parts of Central and West Africa. It is caused by the monkeypox virus, which belongs to the orthopoxvirus family, according to the World Health Organization.

–IANS

int / shs

(Only the title and photo of this report may have been edited by Business Standard staff; the rest of the content is automatically generated by a syndicated channel.)

Dear reader,

Business Standard has always sought to provide up-to-date information and commentary on events that are of interest to you and have wider political and economic implications for the country and the world. Your encouragement and constant feedback on how to improve our proposal has only strengthened our determination and commitment to these ideals. Even during these difficult times stemming from Covid-19, we remain committed to keeping you informed and up-to-date with credible news, authoritative views and insightful comments on current issues. However, we have a request.

As we fight the economic impact of the pandemic, we need your support even more so that we can continue to offer you better content. Our subscription model has received encouraging feedback from many of you who have subscribed to our online content. More subscriptions to our online content can only help us achieve our goals of offering you even better and more relevant content. We believe in free, honest and credible journalism. Your support through more subscriptions can help us practice the journalism we are committed to.

Support quality journalism and subscribe to Business Standard.

Digital editor